Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Rotate This: Uh Huh Her & The Clicks

Cat's out of the bag, I've tripped and fallen into the well of nostalgia. Halifax is great, but growing up on the periphery of Toronto has spoiled me. The more I fall in love with new bands, the deeper into a depression of what's-now-gone I sink.

Majority of the following acts I am about to list rarely, if ever, play here. But instead of waxing poetic on my adolescences spent sleeping on Yonge Street to catch a glimpse of Melissa Auf Der Maur signing autographs, nervously approaching Allison Wolfe post-Bratmobile's set, hanging out with The Donnas, tearing up the night after I got dumped at a Sleater Kinney show, watching my best friend Ashlee dance on-stage two nights in a row with Courtney Love singing "Mailbu" to her, I'll imagine a city where I can catch The Clicks open for The Cult. A booming metropolis where I can eat my little L Word-loving heart out at an Uh Her Her concert. Heck, even see the Peej (PJ Harvey) herself perform.

In Toronto's alt-weekly NOW, reviewer Sarah Liss aptly described The Clicks music as "what might happen if Chrissie Hynde and the Murmurs' Leisha Hailey fell in love, got Bowie to help out with insemination and gave birth to an indie rock love child."

I suppose I can't really complain; upcoming concerts on the horizon do include: Bob Dylan, The Sadies, The Constantines, Leonard Cohen and Sarah Slean. This afternoon I had a lovely chat with those darling fellas from The Coast on the night of their CD release "Expatriate" from a gig in Vancouver. Ian even sweetly asked about the fate of Oh, Beautiful! Majestic! Eagle!

For the record, we remain on hiatus (also known as no longer). In the upcoming weeks I am scheduled to chat with Leisha Hailey and Camillia of Uh Huh Her. Not to mention a highly anticipated record shopping spree in Toronto later this month. Rotate This and Sonic Boom look out, here she comes armed with a recently paid off Visa card in her pockets. I suppose I'm just being a bit brattish. The trouble is I'm a girl who wants everything. I want to bake, decorate and eat the entire cake - icing, cookie crumbs, ice cream and all.

No comments: