Tuesday, May 27, 2008

You turn me on, I'm a disco ball

I'm in the mood for this #17
New releases #
Disco is not a dirty word# 6





From the same label that brought you Disco Not Disco comes Disco Italia, a compilation of some of the most essential and influential Italo Disco tracks that have ever graced dancefloors.

If anything, it's thanks to my friend Jeff that I discovered the wonders of Italo, as well as Canadian DJ/musician Dubious with whom I had one of my first ever DJ gigs. Between these two, I began to discover the world of such artists asKano, Kebekelektrik. Through my own research, record digging and conversations/mixes with other DJs, I have come to appreciate and admire the subtleties that come from the world of Italo (and how it's world escapes its eponymously named boundaries) and its (arguable) twin sister, Cosmic Disco.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Disco is not a dirty word. It is glorious.



Enjoy

Gonzales, "Overnight", Solo Piano
Jose Gonzales, "Remain", Veneer
Bonnie Prince Billy, "Love Comes To Me", The Letting Go
Adem, "Warning Call", Love & Other Planets
She & Him, "You've really got a hold on me", Volume 1
Ghost Bees, "Vampires of West Coast", Tasseomancy
Archivist, "Fabulous Muscles"
Lou Reed feat. Antony, "Perfect Day", The Raven
Portishead, "Hunter", Third
Final Fantasy, "Many Lives --> 49 MP", He Poos Clouds
Old Man Luedecke, "Send My Troubles Away", Proof Of Love
Betty Lavette, "Sleep To Dream", I've got my own hell to raise
Bloc Party, "Like eating glass", Silent Alarm
LCD Soundsystem, "Someone Great", Sound Of Silver
Material, "Don't Lose Control (Dance Version)", Disco Not Disco 3: Post Punk, Electro & Leftfield Disco Classics, 1974-1986
Red Dragon Band, "Let Me Be Your Radio (Part 1)", Disco Italia: Essential Italo Disco Classics 1977-1985
Buck 65 feat Old Man Luedeceke, "Indestructible Sam", Cretin Hip Hop Vol 1
Thom Yorke, "Skip Divided (Modeselektor Remix)"
Moby, "Disco Lies", Last NIght
Crystal Castles, "Courtship Dating (J. La Bootleg Mix)"
Holy Fuck, "Frenchy's", LP

No comments: