Saturday, February 16, 2008

Tanya Davis Builds Up A Fortress

My poetical pal Tanya Davis is nearly finished her new album. She's in the midst of wheeling and dealing record deals (i.e. anyone wanna offer her one?). The single from the forthcoming album is dubbed Fortress, an accordian pop tune like you've never heard it done before.

Davis considers it her, "my you-can't-hurt-me pop song."

When she's not working on new tunes, poeming or hanging out at neighbourhood java joints, she runs a little side catering project. While Hawksley Workman was in town producing Hey Rosetta's sophmore release, TD kept the boys' bellies full. I recently caught up with Hawksley, somewhere between the ugly and the beautifuls, and Davis' fine home cookin' came into play.

Webb-Campbell: There’s actually a cookbook that came out called I Like Food, Food Tastes Good, which features recipes from musicians, everyone from Death Cab For Cutie to Hayden. I was thinking someone should put together a Canadian version. When you were here, my neighbour and good friend Tanya Davis, was in charge of catering for you and Hey Rosetta.

Workman: Tanya is wonderful.

Webb-Campbell: Isn’t she? She’s just about finished her record.

Workman: She was working on it while I was there, I was working with Hey Rosetta when I was in Halifax and she was in every day, bringing us wonderful cooking creations. And Hey Rosetta, by the way, is also a phenomenal record

Consider Miss Davis' the jill of all trades these days.

No comments: