Thursday, July 10, 2008

Let's go to hell together: How Buck 65 killed it.


I'm in the mood for this #20
Rotate this #2


Image courtesy of CBC


I remember the first time I saw the video for "Kennedy Killed The Hat". I was working in a dingy gay bar, it was mid-afternoon and I was watching MuchMusic.

Now, I had heard Buck's earlier stuff under the monkier Stinkin' Rich and a few pieces of his work with Sixtoo under the monkier of The Sebutones. I had loved his last album, "Talkin' Honky Blues", and I remember seeing him as a clerk at my local news stand. I even remember telling him I had found some bootlegg stuff of his online from an unreleased album. He thanked me for telling him and told me he would find out who leaked it.

To me, Rich Terfry was the face of Halifax Hip Hop.

And then he pulled out with Secret House Against The World. Gainsbourg references (both lyrically and musically), rough edged drum breaks, a cover of an old Halifax band and of course, my absolute favorite, Kennedy.



There he was, his shirt off, that rip roaring, DFA 1979 sounding guitar (whom one of its members, under another moniker would later remix), that delivery, and that chorus that just gets stuck in your head, the words points of reference to the strange world in Buck's head:


And we're surrounded by assassins
fantomas
mutantes
and serpents
werewolves and sex fiends
New York
New York City
Lafayette Street
Alright now
Bang Bang
London Paris
shoot the lights out
Come on now baby


That was in 2005. Three years, another record and all of a sudden, I hear another version of Kennedy, this time featuring CKDUers Mike Catano on drums and Laura Peek on vocals and other sundry musical items. Gone is the heavy drum beat, here is a melancoly dirge, accented by Peek's voice, supporting and lifting Buck out of the netherworld of his own deadpan.


Listen here, and enjoy

Clear is still the new black.



***

Moody Morning Music for June 1st, 2008. Now with over 70% CanCon! Enjoy.

Gonzales, "Overnight", Solo Piano
Sigur Ros, "All Alright", Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust
Arcade Fire, "In The Backseat", Funeral
Feist, "Limit to your love", The Reminder
Jose Gonzales, "Love will tear us apart", Veneer
Young & Sexy, "The city you live in is ugly", Stand for your mother
Portishead, "Machine Gun", Third
Islands, "J'aime vous voir quitter", Arm's Way
Wolf Parade, "The Grey Estates", At Mount Zoomer
Immaculate Machine, "Wo Xiang Tanbai (Dear Confessor)", 7"
Broken Social Scene, "Windsurfing Nation", S/T
Stars, "Take me to the riot", In Our Bedroom after the war
Duchess Says, "Rabies (Baby;s got the)", Anthologie des 3 Perchoirs
You Say Party! We Say Die!, "Downtown mayors goodnight, Alley Kids Rule", Lose All Time
Gwen Guthrie, "7th Heaven", Padlock EP
Crystal Castles, "Air War", S/T
Gonzales, "Slow Down (Feat. Teki Latex)", Soft Power
Cut Copy, "Out there on ice", In Ghost Colours
MSTRKRFT, "Bounce (feat. N.O.R.E.)", Bounce EP
Thom Yorke, "The Clock (Surgeon Remix)", 12"


Moody Morning Music for July 8th, 2008. Enjoy

Gonzales, "Overnight", Solo Piano
Buck 65 feat Laura Peek & Micheal Catano, "Kennedy Killed The Hat (acoustic mix)
Thom Yorke, "Harrowdown Hill (12" mix)
Black Keys, "All you ever wanted", Attack & Release
Wolf Parade, "Language City", At Mount Zoomer
Sigur Ros, "Goddledigood", Med Sud I Eryum Vid Spulum Endalaust
Bloc Party, "Tulips (Club Version)"
Stars, "What I'm trying to say", Set yourself on fire
Tokyo Police Club, "The Nature Of The Experiment"
The Gossip, "Jealous Girls (NYPC Remix)"
!!!, "Heart Of Hearts", Myth Takes
Duchess Says, "Tenen Non Neu", Anthologie des 3 Perchoirs
Danger Doom feat. Cee-Lo, "Benzie Box", THe Mouse & The Mask
Zapp, "Dance Floor"
Santogold, "Les Artistes (Molecule Mix)"
Girl Talk, "Give me a beat", Feed The Animals
Crystal Castles, "Vanished", S/T
Cut Copy, "Heart's On Fire", In Ghost Colours

No comments: