Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Stars Are On Fire

I'm in the mood for this #21
Cover Me #6
Disco Is Not A Dirty Word #7
Give me some Soul #1




The night starts here.

On Sunday, July 20th, the Stars are playing in Halifax, along with The Black Keys and local heroes Wintersleep and I See Rowboats.

The last time I saw Stars was when they opened for Broken Social Scene in 2004. It was one of those cases where the opening act blew the main attraction out of the water. Vocalists Torquil Campbell was emphatic at his worst and beyond stunning at his best. Amy Campbell serenaded us over the hard guitar for "Ageless Beauty" and someone passed me a Heart shaped potato which I passed to Torquil. He told the crowd that after the show he would make a bong out of it.

I'm not expecting another one of those, but I am expecting a great show.

Speaking of shows, this week's edition of Moody Morning Music contains a few fun covers, as well as a few more tunes from my rapidly expanding collection of soul 45s, hence a new category for this blog, aptly titled, Give Me Some Soul. But more on that later. Right now, I wanna talk about girls with pretty voices.



The Watson Twins have released a full length album to follow up their teaser of an EP, "Souther Manners". The album includes a remarkably sincere cover of The Cure's "Just Like Heaven". Scroll down to the track list to hear the original.




So I'm digging through that infamous stack of 45s I just mentioned and I find one by some dude named Wayne Cochran. I drop the needle and all of a sudden, this crazy voice and rhythm ripples through the grooves. Holy Shit! Who is this dude? I google him and am confronted with a white guy in a crazy blonde pompadour. Once again, Holy shit! I need some more tunes. Check him out by scrolling down and clicking on the link in the track listing.




As for this week's dose of disco, a (somewhat)unlikely candidate who goes by the name of Gonzales.

After having worked with Feist, Peaches and Jamie Lidell and having released a critically lauded album, Gonzales has put out a love song to all things AOR Friendly, influenced by everything from Yacht Rock to french disco strings. The latter can be found in wonderful abundance on this week's download called "Let's Ride".

Gonzales, "Let's Ride", The Soft Power

*

Enjoy

Gonzales, "Overnight", Solo Piano
Watson Twins, "Just Like Heaven", Fire Songs
She & Him, "You've really got a hold on me", Volume 1
Ron Sexsmith, "Brandy Alexander", Exit Strategy of the soul
Betty Harris, "I'm evil tonight", 7"
The Joe Tex Band, "Chocolate Cherry", 7"
Wayne Cochran, "Some a your sweet lovin'" 7"
Duffy, "Mercy", Rockferry
Gnarls Barkley, "Who's gonna save my soul", The Odd Couple
Stars, "Elevator Love Letter", Heart
Stars, "Your ex-lover is dead", Set yourself on fire
Stars, "Ageless Beauty (Most Serene Republic Remix)", Do you trust your friends?
Stars, "The Night Starts Here", In Our Bedroom after the war
Stars, "Take me to the riot", In our Bedroom after the war
Bloc Party, "She's Hearing Voices", Silent Alarm
Architecture In Helsinki, "Like it or not (version 2)"
Gonzales, "Let's ride", Soft power
CSS, "Believe Archive", Donkey
Crystal Castles, "Knight", S/T
M.I.A. "Paper Planes (DFA Remix)", 12"
Girl Talk, "Give me a beat". Feed The Animals
N.E.R.D., "Everybody Nose"
Swayzak, "Smile & Receive", Some Other Country

No comments: