Thursday, July 3, 2008

You Dig?

Dig this #1



We here, at I wanna listen to this aren't just a bunch of blog and mp3 seeking hipsters. We often dig out old records, rediscover and reconsider stuff we dismissed earlier and dig deeper into genres we never thought we would care about (cosmic disco anyone?), much less write about. Here are some of our recent favorites, in no particular order.


Jeffrey Liberatore is disco elitist, music snob and wishes Gaspard Ulliel knew he existed.



Anything on Cosmo Vitelli's I'm A Cliche label
Those Ali Renault records on Dissident
The Holy Ghost remix of "I Like to Move in Here" by Moby
"The Feeling" by Toby Tobias on Rekids
The Last Shadow Puppets record on Domino (So Scott Walker)
Yacht Rock
The Video to "Electric Feel" by MGMT


Shannon Webb-Campbell is a blogger, journalist, Perpetual Student and Girl-about-country


Them There Eyes – Billie Holiday
Paris Is Burning – St. Vincent
Euphoria – Sarah Slean
Heartbeats – Jose Gonzales
Explode – Uh Huh Her
Red Right Ankle – The Decemberists


Simon Thibault is an occasional club DJ, a weekly radio DJ and omnipresent car stereo selector.


I bought over 300 Soul and R&B 45s a few months ago. Millie Jackson, Syl Johnson (who is playing at the Atlantic Jazz Fest here in Halifax this summer), Al Green, Freda Payne and Joe Tex, just to name a few. It's a completely different listening experience from just letting your iTunes go on random.
The Magnetic Field's "69 Love Songs". Why did I not realise how amazing this was years ago...
Hercules and Love Affair- Now featured in The New York Times, not only do they make me wanna dance, they also make me dig through my old records looking for gems I might have overlooked.
Swayzak- Their Fabric Mix, their last record and my favorite, "I keep it coming" from Loops from the Bergerie.
Zapp- Forget Chromeo. Stevie wonder may have made it cool, Zapp made it funky and sexy.


Ryan Allen is the youngest yet sweetest of the crew here, but is often seen singing/screaming his guts out at all ages shows.



Bexar Bexar - Haralambos (Awesome ambient stuff, check it out!)
Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde (Very pretty shoegazey stuff. Lots of guitars, and etheral vocals)
Latterman - We Are Still Alive
Lawrence Arms - Oh Calcutta
Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
Jesus and Mary Chain - I Hate Rock and Roll (Why haven't I listened to this before?!)
Hot Water Music - Forever and Counting
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Tomcat Combat - I'm Okay, You're Okay
Have Heart - Songs to Scream at The Sun (Good, smart hardcore band)



Nirmala Basnayakeis a former controller and taught Nelly Furtado how to get her groove back.Mmmhmm.



Belle Epoque "Miss Broadway"
The Seeds "Can't Seem to Make You Mine" (seriously -- it took a fucking Axe body spray ad to wake me up to this one? gah)
Tom Petty's Damn the Torpedoes
Coldcut "Say Kids What Time Is It" and "More Beats + Pieces"





Loukas Crowther
is a founder and DJ @Metal Disco, a designer and photographer to the unsavory.


Bubaiskull's re-releasing their stuff online has had me in some serious nostalgic bliss. Especially the Drive By Suicide EP
The Does It Offend You, Yeah? album has been in heavy rotation for like 2 weeks now.
I finally heard the rest of Santogold's album after killing the youtube video of L.E.S. Artistes, and I actually like it so much more than I thought. I was expecting more of the M.I.A. comparisons to continue, but it went in a way different direction that I expected.
The MSTRKRFT remix of the j-pop star, Ayumi Hamasaki, makes me retardedly happy.
The Presets new album, Apocalypso

No comments: