Friday, August 15, 2008

Girls On Stage And Boys On The Floor!

I'm in the mood for this #24
Disco is not a dirty word #9
New releases #7


I'm so excited and I just can't hide it.


Image by Yo Rodeo!

One of my favorite Halifax bands, The Stolen Minks are launching a new CD on Friday, August 22nd at Gus' Pub, here in Halifax.

(It's a bit of a contentious trifecta between them, Dog Day and Windom Earle. It's only contentious for me, because I don't like to choose.),

Apparently, there will be a cupcake eating contest, which makes me incredibly giddy. Also playing are Halifax wunderkinds-cum-legends The Maynards (one of whom is actually my next door neighbour, howya doin' Heath?), Bloodsport as well as Memories Attack.

I'll be there with bells (and my Stolen Minks t-shirt) on. Check the thread on Halifax Locals for more info.




Strut Records has done it again.

Kid Creole & The Coconuts's latin-inflected disco magic has been collected on various compilations (see below) yet remains mostly forgotten save by die hard disco fanatics. I remember seeing his records in bins at record stores, but I never really gave them a spin. This compilation, entitled "Going Places: The August Darnell Years" makes me regret my poor selector choices. The Kid (Darnell himself) worked as a producer before starting his own band, working on tracks for Cristina among others.

One of these tracks, the compilation's opener, is by Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band entitled "Sunshowers". Sound familiar ?

MP3: Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band, "Sunshowers"

And speaking of disco...




A big shout out to my friend Frank B for giving me a copy of the Mutant Disco compilations as well as the first two Disco (Not Disco) comps. I, my blog and my record collection are forever indebted to you. If you wish to be indebted to Frank and myself, simply click on the links to discover the aweseomness of these albums. Also, for your perusal, scroll down for a video of one of the tracks from the second Disco Not Disco compilation, Laid Back's anti-coke disco tirade, "White Horse". The track, as well as a few others, are played on this week's episode of Moody Morning Music. Also played on this week's episode is a classic bollywood track sung by Geeta Dutt, called "Meera Naam Chin Chin Choo" (My name is Chin Chin Choo)". It's one of those songs that you can NOT get stuck out of your head, so might as well indulge it and put it on repeat.


*

Moody Morning Music for Tuesday, August 12th, 2008.

Dig it

Stars, "The Beginning after the end", In Our Bedroom after the war
Antony & The Johnsons, "Frankenstein", The Lake EP
Great Lake Swimmers, "Song for the angels", Bodies & Minds
Sun Kill Moon, "Moorestown", April
Bloc Party, "Blue Light (Engineers Blue Light Remix)",
Ron Sexsmith, "Thoughts & Prayers", Exit Strategy For The Soul
Laura Peek & The Winning Hearts, "A Name", From The Photographs
Brendan Canning, "Something for all of us...", Something for all of us
Beck, "Youthless", Modern Guilt
The Superfantastics, "Van Gogh", Choose your destination
The Stolen Minks, "Stop Talking", Family Boycott
Windom Earle, "Kitten Vs Pegasus", Gold Wave
Geeta Dutt, "Meera Naam Chin Chin Choo"
Dr Buzzard's Original Svannah Band, "Sunshower", Kid Creole: Going Places
Laid Back, "White Horse", Disco Not Disco 2
Was (Not Was), "Wheel Me Out", Mutant Disco
Yello, "Bostitch", Disco Not Disco 2
Ghislain Poirier feat Face-T, "Blazin' (Modeselektor Remix)"

Laid Back, "White Horse"



Geeta Dutt (as performed by Helen ), "Meera Naam Chin Chin Choo"

No comments: